Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Beth's Excellent Adventure—Part 5: Haunch of Venison, Salisbury


Heya, Adventurers!  This is J.K.’s friend Beth, reporting from England, where I had many culinary adventures and remembered to take pictures of some of them.

When I walked down the hill from Old Sarum into New Sarum (Salisbury proper), I walked the river walk along the Avon down to the Cathedral for Evensong.  After a stop at my hotel room, I went back out to the Haunch of Venison, because venison and smoked bacon casserole.  It came with a serving of cabbage with bacon, so I was baconing out.

The Haunch of Venison is an old building, and the restaurant upstairs has a very uneven floor.  Parts of it were a church building, and it’s said to be haunted.  It’s quite charming with all its nooks and crannies.

Most of the venison pieces were tender, but a couple were a tad chewy.  The bacon was more flavoring in the gravy than distinct pieces in the casserole, but there was plenty of bacon amidst the cabbage.  For a beverage I had a local brew, Ringwood 49er ale.  It’s 4.9% alcohol by volume, and when they achieved that result, they decided to name it after the California Gold Rush.  An ale named for the California Gold Rush, in Wiltshire.  Go figure.



49er Ale Ready For Its Close-Up
I was up for dessert that night, so I had the Haunch Berry Mess, strawberries and blueberries with clotted cream and meringue. £22 altogether, not bad for a full meal.  (I’d decided to treat pounds like dollars and not worry about the exchange rate, since I’d already been nicked for that at the currency exchange in San Francisco.)




No comments:

Post a Comment