Pages

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Beth's Excellent Adventure—Part 10 - Breakfast at the Brandlehow Guest House, Penrith


Heya, Adventurers!  This is J.K.’s friend Beth, reporting from England, where I had many culinary adventures and remembered to take pictures of some of them.

While in Penrith, I stayed at the Brandelhow Guest House, where Lanie and Mel Hancox have won Automobile Club awards for their breakfasts.  Deservedly so.  I had this egg with haddock cakes on a bed of leeks with hollandaise before catching a bus to Keswick (“Kezzick”) for a stroll.  It fortified me for a walk along Derwent Water (beautiful Lake District Lake), then up and over one of the fells (hill/mountain ridges) and on to the Castlerigg Stone Circle, which is a thousand years older than Stonehenge.

Now, at the top of the Walla Crag ridge, I had a couple of bars, so this backdrop doesn’t match the breakfast picture.  But what the hey.


Keswick is indeed a tourist town, though theirs aren’t as tourist-tacky as ours; there isn’t quite the souvenir t-shirt culture as in the States.  So, I wouldn’t take it as a knock when I apply the Carmel appellation and say Keswick is Carmel with fish and chips (like Santa Fe is Carmel with chile peppers, etc.).  I had a steak pie in a pub at the end of my day, but didn’t get a picture; I was too involved in a delightful conversation with a couple from Dorset who get to the Lakes often.







No comments:

Post a Comment