Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

National S'mores Day--JK


Campfire Cookies


Years ago, I bought a product called Marshmallow Gems from King Arthur Flour. These are the mini marshmallows the cookie manufacturers use. They have a list of ingredients that I don't want to think about, but they don't melt in the oven. I have been looking for them ever since, to no avail.
Recently, the crunchy little marshmallows that come in those envelopes of hot chocolate mix have become available. They don't work in recipes that call for mini marshmallows, but Carrie Vassios over at Serious Eats published a recipe that uses them. Friday was National S'Mores Day, and these are Campfire Cookies.

I made my graham cracker crumbs in my Vita Mix, and used milk chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks. The cookies are delicious, but they would be even better with Marshmallow Gems. Anybody out there know where I can get cookie factory marshmallows?

J.K.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe breakfast cereal marshmallows would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're those crunchy things, too. One of Carrie's commenters who couldn't find the Marshmallow Bits said she might pick the marshmallows out of cereal. And probably then wonder why her kids won't eat the cereal. Like the time my mother ate all the crust off the rye bread.

      Delete